Patio swings can be a great addition to your garden, but some of them are not affordable. One of the best choices for those who want to upgrade the garden but don’t want to waste lots of money is to buy a secondhand patio swing.
Of course, it will be cheaper, but sometimes, the conditions are not that good. You don’t need to worry if you also buy the secondhand swing since you can easily transform it and it will look as good as new. Here are some makeover projects that you can do to upgrade your swing.
1. Change Fabric
The most common thing to happen to the patio swing is related to the cushion. One of the ways you can do this is to remove the fabric and wash it off. But sometimes, you will just need to change the fabric, especially when the colors start to fade and there are some holes in it.
In the worst case, changing the fabric won’t solve the problem since the size can be different and you will need to change it altogether to revamp your swing.
The best material you can use for this project is to choose the fabric that is suitable for outdoor use. You can use a tablecloth and you will need to adjust the number of tablecloths you need based on the size of the swing. But you can also use other fabrics if you want to minimize the cost. This project would be great if you liked sewing, but if not, you can still try it since it is pretty easy to follow.
- To make the right cushion with the right size, you will need to measure the frame. But, if you want to have an easier way to do it, you can use the old cushion as a guide. Just lay out new fabric over the old cushion and cut it with the same size, and don’t forget to add 1 inch seam allowance.
- Sew the fabric that has been cut out. Cover the old cushion with the new fabric and sew it to secure the fabric in place.
- You can also change the canopy with the same fabric. Just repeat steps 1 and 2 previously and attach the canopy and the cushion back to the frame.
2. Ditch the Cushion
The patio swing is designed to be put outside. But at the same time, it can also get worn out from the weather. It will be worse if the swing comes with the cushions since overtime, it can tear, moldy, or maybe too messed up to use again.
The best thing to do here is to ditch the cushions for good and use the wooden slats as a frame. By using them, you can create a new swing and it will also look like a bench in the park. But here, it requires hard work and you might need extra help if you are not familiar enough with woodworking projects.
Before you begin, you will need to remove all of the fabrics of the swing. To do this, just cut the fabric using some scissors and until you see the frame. Then, prepare some wooden slats that suit the length of the frame, some sand paper, screws, and also paints of your favorite colors.
- Adjust the wooden slants to the frame and make sure that they can cover the frame well. When you know the right positions, you can begin by drilling the screws through the wood into the frame. In some cases, you will need to use special screws that are strong enough for the frame, especially when the swing is made from metal. You can also use longer screws so that they can penetrate the woods and the frame well.
- When you have done adding the wood to the frame, you can hang the swing to the bigger frame. You can hang it with the ropes or chains that come together with the swing. But, if it is too heavy, you will need to use S hooks to attach the swing well. Make sure that the swing is put securely in the frame.
- The last step is to paint the swing with the colors you like, especially when the woods and the frame colors are not matched. Just stroke the paint to the swing and air-dry it. After it has dried well, you can move the swing to your patio.
Sometimes, the problem with the patio swing is the color of the frame. It is quite hard to repaint because of the material and the old paint that is still attached to the frame. To get a better result, you will need to choose a suitable paint based on the material of the frame itself.
But here, if your swing is made from raw wood, you can easily repaint the swing using milk paint. The milk paint for the raw wood is the best choice if the swing is put outdoors under the weather. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Before you apply the paint to the swing frame, you will need to scrap the old paint from the frame itself. You don’t need to worry because you can remove the old paint easily using sandpaper. However, you will need to make sure to remove the old paints in between the slats and it may take a while before you can apply the new paint.
- You will need to choose the color of the milk paint you like and you can mix some of them to get the color you like. Just combine one part of the colors you like, 9 tablespoon of lukewarm water, and stir the mixture every one minute for 20 minutes.
- Apply the color to the frame using the brush. One coat of milk paint will be sufficient for the frame, but if you want to have stronger color, you will need to dry the paint first before adding more layers. After 24 hours, you can sand the frame if you want to get a buttery-smooth finish.